Here are 7 of my top tips for helping aid weightloss without ploughing head-first into the common fat loss road blocks. Some of my tips are physiological, others emotional; but I think you’ll agree that they’re all good!
1. Shrink the change: if you fail, start all over again and don’t beat yourself up about it. Learn from your mistakes and failings. Yes, it’s hard to start life over and over; I personally did not become a master of change overnight, I’m still changing as well.
2. Focus internal, not external: think of all the positive and great things in your life that make you happy and try not to dwell on superficial external factors and niggles.
By focusing on the good and positive things you can control, pretty soon all the small external bothers will pale into insignificance. For example; yes, you might be suffering from a spot breakout, but it’s not the end of the world because you have your health, fabulous friends and family and an awesome career. Don’t sweat the small stuff! J
3. Get support: I can’t stress enough how important it is that you surround yourself with winners and miracle workers! Always seek out the people who are enablers of success and act as inspiration. Keep at arms-length negative people and those who make you feel bad about yourself. Befriend winners!
4. Follow the “growth mind-set”: People with a “growth mind-set” (Switch by Chip & Dan Heath) are those who stretch themselves, take risks, accept feedback and take a long-term view; can’t help but progress in their lives and career.
5. Invest in quality quiet time: Avoid lack of quiet time, quiet time is great for introspection so that you can set yourself very clear objectives and goals. Lack of quiet time means lack of introspection which means all you are doing day in day out is pouring yourself out. This will lead to a massive fatigue, especially if you have kids. Plan your quiet time around your kids. Make time in the morning before they wake-up or after when you’ve put them to bed at night.
6. Hormonal imbalance: Seriously, this is the real deal! Forget about losing weight in the presence of hormonal issues. I found out about this based on research from a known immunologist (Dirk Budka) and first-hand experiences with clients. I strictly suggest that anyone who wants to look “hot” should get extensive tests done before embarking on any weightloss programme.
7. Thyroid dysfunction: the thyroid, based in the neck, is is one of the largest endocrine glands in the body and is an important regulator of hormones and metabolic rate. When dysfunctional the thyroid will serve as a major roadblock to weightloss success.
If you are suffering from any of the following symptoms, please get checked out by your doctor: typical symptoms are abnormal weight gain, tiredness, baldness, cold intolerance, and a slower than normal heart rate.